24 February 2010

Speaking of outdated browser experiences...

BIG pet hate of mine...

At work I am forced to use IE6, as I am not allowed to install anything of my own accord on the company's computer. I know it's possible to run at least Chrome off a USB stick, but honestly, I can't be bothered. I understand that using an outdated browser means I will have a less than optimal web experience, but I am willing to wear it as the cost of my laziness (not wanting to add a single extra step to access my email/the news/update my blog/maintain Strine).

What I loathe are websites that plaster a hate banner across the top of their site, informing me that I am using a crap browser, that I should update, that I'm clearly a moron etc. I really get defensive - I want to tell them 'I'm at work and I don't have a choice!!! I use all of the latest browsers on my laptops at home!!! arrgghh!' Really annoying. Most annoying because I know I do actually have a choice, but having someone point out how lazy I am does not make me a happy person....

What I'd prefer is something I saw in Elliot Jay Stock's talk on Progressive enhancement at Webdirections South last year (http://www.webdirections.org/resources/elliot-jay-stocks-progressive-enhancement/). During his discussion on understanding different browser capabilities and appreciating sites don't have to look identical across them all, he showed us a site I loved - http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/ Old browsers show a black and white site, new browsers are in colour. Reward progressive people, don't harangue the late majority...nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment