08 March 2011

Yee ha!

OK - after falling off the blogging planet for a while, I've returned.

I've been busy in the new job, upskilling in many areas but I've reached a point where, for sanity's sake if nothing else, I need some non-work projects. I haven't done much since creating a football -themed Flash flip card memory game for my nephew last year (to practice ActionScript3).

I'm looking for a few different things to occupy me, so I don't' get bored. Other than picking up my beading again, there are a few digital things I'd like to develop, starting with an overhaul of my portfolio site. It was 'functional' when I built it (i.e. it did the job it was meant to, holding all of my stuff) but in itself, it was hardly a sterling shiny gem of a site let alone something I felt was a true representation of me or my level of skill (which is sort of what you want from a portfolio site!!).

The first stop is to rethink the way it's structured. I'm in the middle of reading Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think" (I'm literally cringing as I read every page, as I realise in terms of usability, how crap my site is). The Adobe Refresh day I attended in Sydney last week also got me thinking about designing for different devices (start designing with the smaller device and add more in for larger devices, instead of the other way around). I'm going to start with a content review and then seriously rethink the navigation, page design - particularly the organisation of the content on the home page. Watch this space for wireframes...

I was tempted to use this as a project to check out HTML5/CSS3 but as it's not supported right across the board, I might just start with the HTML4/CSS2 version and then try developing a beta 'upgrade' version. Before I get carried away - let's start at the start...

1 comment:

  1. This is actually the article that got me thinking about side projects again
    http://twa.lt/gisZm4

    I noticed Trent is speaking at SXSW on a panel called "How side projects can keep you relevant". How relevant! :-)

    ReplyDelete